Challenges Facing the Students Today

Parents knew the value of educating their children that is why even in a so called third world country like ours, it becomes the government's priority even associating the budget on the Department of Education somehow with the Department of Social Welfare and Development through the Cash Transfer Program (Link: Conditional Cash Transfer (4P's) wherein among the requirements is the enrollment of every child in every recipient family in a school to somehow make way to cut the poverty cycle. 

However, the government and the parents want a successful career ending for their children still there are inevitable reasons why they could not pursue studying. Aside from poverty, bad influences hang around and entice them...


FRATERNITIES 
Among those reasons had been recently reminded to us  by Horatio Castillo III - and admittedly the most unacceptable one, death. A death that is inflicted by supposed-to-be people whom one thought to be a friend and the worst - a sibling! Now, also the members who are in the Initiation Rite are in the brink of losing their future because of the mess they end-up with.

The problem with our government is that the legislative arm created a toothless law that ONLY REGULATES 'hazing' and accepted is a requirement to be passed by an aspiring applicant of any club (refer to the screenshot below for the CLEAR definition/synonym).



REPUBLIC ACT 8049


Screenshot of  RA 8049 by lawphil.net -click the link to see more of it including penalties etc.


The Law IF implemented MAYBE enough to avoid unfortunate incidents resulting to PHYSICAL VIOLENCE OR EVEN DEATH at the worst granted that the school authorities had been informed Section 2 RA 8049) of the upcoming Initiation Rite/Ceremony so as for them to assign two representatives (section 3) to supervise or be present  during the initiation - who will in turn TAKE THE RESPONSIBILITY of the observance of the NO PHYSICAL HARM infliction on a neophyte.

Although this Law wants to be amended by one of the senators, Hon. Zubiri (GMA News Online) and says that the Law itself is misleading and even ALLOWING the HAZING itself by means of REGULATING it.  He even suggested to totally ban it, if I am not mistaken. Taking on his side, after the law was enacted cases of fraternity deaths had been recorded and never zeroed out. See the links below.

Video Links:


I am not totally approved of banning FRATERNITIES because I knew one that is for a good cause - the CBI (Christian Brotherhood Intewrnational), not just because I belong to the church that organizes I favored it. See what convinced me.


Have you noticed the smile, the cammarederie among its members in every college and university it is all over. I had become a member during college too. What we do? Devotional Prayers before exam (exact time daily we pray to our Lord God to help us in our upcoming tests), we also do sharing faith, clean-up drives, tree-planting activities and a lot more POSITIVE and helpful activities - for the students, to our parents and the environment and the society as well.

I hope this opens the mind of the whole nation that we need not erase brotherhood but WE NEED to CHANGE how it is being defined by barbaric people - we need to be true to its essence too.


ACTIVISM

I do not believe that all members of an activist group really understand what IDEOLOGY he is defending or fighting for. I am enticed by a student leader when I was still studying in a State University in Manila when I was in college. Michelle E. approached me and asked me to join them, she said they have allowances, free board and lodging, free mobile phones and load etc. - oh, my! These stuff has brought many poor ignorant students marching most of the times in the street. I can count the number of days they come to school (as my classmate) compared to the days they are on streets fighting for---.  The parents should be aware of this too.  Poverty may have pushed many youngsters to associate and the want to finish schooling is among their goals too BUT I am not sure if they really passed each subject or it is just a pity of the professors. However she convinced me, I refused.  She approached me seeing and telling me frankly that I have friends and influence, I can be like her, a student leader. It is good that they do not harm if somebody refuses to join their cause, but I only enrolled there for a semester, not sure what could happen next.

The above-mentioned pauses danger not just to the studies but to the LIFE of the student who join rallies etc. who might be arrested and jailed by the authorities or be killed at the worst in riots.

I am really glad that the church where I belong is also concerned with the youth, even embracing the students inside the school premises to remain ideal in every way as an obedient children to parents as well as a worthy Christian never wanting to cause worry to parents and the school as well.

My advice to the students, be content of what you have now, you will soon have more than it later after schooling. If you aspire for more than what you can afford, you might end-up a loser. And the greatest ally we can have is not your wealthy classmate, nor the genius one, and not even your kindest professor but our Lord God.



No comments:

Creative Commons License

Creative Commons License
Family, Daily Living & Style by Angelita Galiza-Madera is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.